Saturday, August 24, 2013

How to Cut Out Digital Images with the Silhouette

Hi again!  I didn't mean to be back so soon, but I've had a number of requests to do a tutorial on how I cut out my images with my Cameo! So I'll try to be as clear as possible... If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'd be happy to help :)

So the first thing I do is open up my image in Photoshop Elements 10 (whatever photo editing program you have will work fine). I prefer to use PNG files because they open up in my Silhouette software the correct size.


This image is Little Best Friends by Elisabeth Bell and can be found HERE.



The next thing I do is create a black fill in PSE 10. I use the paint bucket tool to quickly fill the larger areas and if needed, color in with the brush.



Once the image is completely filled in and saved (I usually name the file as is with "Black Fill" added to the end) I open the silhouette in Silhouette lol!


Next I go to the Trace Window, click on "Select Trace Area" UNcheck "High Pass Filter" and if necessary to fill in completely with yellow, increase the "Threshold."


Click on Trace (if image has inner parts to cut) or Trace outer edge...


Although this extra step isn't necessary, I really like to do an offset because when I print and cut, sometimes things get a little wonky lol!

Not shown here, but I decrease the offset to around 0.025" so it's closer to the original cut lines and then delete the original trace.

Now it's time to print and cut!


Drag and drop the original image from your saved file into the newly created cut file and align as necessary.

Go to Registration Marks as you'll need these to print and tell the Silhouette where to cut! Click on show "Registration Marks." Now print!

Be sure not to move anything on your screen after you print and before you cut!!!



OK... so on this very used cutting mat is my freshly printed image (along with some pieces you'll see in the very near future!). The registration marks are in both top corners and one in the bottom left. Insert your paper the same way you have it in your software :)

Make sure all lines are set to cut... then cut away!

I hope this tutorial has helped you create your own print and cut images. Don't hesitate to ask questions....I'll help in any way I can :)

Thank you for stopping by today!

**************************************************************
My CANDY giveaway is at THIS POST!
**************************************************************

May God bless you, keep you and comfort your soul~

2 comments:

Sandra H said...

This is great Lori thank you for sharing it x

Chriss America Real said...

Ah Ha! So that is how you do it! Okay. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 and my Cameo so I am all set to try this! I will let you know how it goes. Thank you so much for the tutorial.

Hugs,

Chriss

the countdown...

Get your own free Blogoversary button!
Related Posts with Thumbnails